Bad Breath Treatment at Happy Smile Family Dental
At Happy Smile Family Dental, we understand that bad breath can be a frustrating and embarrassing issue for millions of Americans. That’s why we offer comprehensive treatment options for patients suffering from this condition. Whether your bad breath is temporary or chronic, our experienced team is here to help you find a solution.
What Causes Bad Breath?
Bad breath, also known as halitosis, occurs when sulfur compounds are produced in the body and released into the air. The most common source of this sulfur is anaerobic (without oxygen) bacteria that live in the grooves or fibers at the back of the tongue. These bacteria produce the sulfur that gives off an unpleasant smell, especially when the mouth is dry, creating an ideal environment for them to thrive.
Sulfur compounds can also be produced when certain types of food are consumed, making their way into the bloodstream and then to the lungs, where they are excreted into the air we exhale.
Other factors contributing to bad breath include:
- A thick saliva that sits on the back of the tongue and is digested by bacteria, resulting in a white film on the tongue
- Postnasal drip, which causes the back of the tongue and throat to accumulate high amounts of protein that bacteria thrive on
- Foods high in protein or acidity, such as fish, milk, cheese, or coffee
- More persistent problems with unpleasant breath can indicate diseases such as diabetes, liver dysfunction, pulmonary disease, and respiratory disease
- Periodontal pockets, which occur in the latter stage of periodontal disease, create spaces for bacteria to grow and give off a chronic unpleasant odor
How Can Bad Breath Be Treated?
Proper oral hygiene is key to eliminating many cases of bad breath. Daily brushing and flossing remove the plaque and bacteria that often cause this issue. Additionally, it’s essential to:
- Avoid foods with powerful odors
- Drink plenty of water to ensure your mouth is cleansed and full of oxygen
- Consult with our team at Happy Smile Family Dental about current products on the market that can help eliminate bad breath
To learn more about how we may be able to help you overcome bad breath, contact Happy Smile Family Dental today. Our dedicated team is committed to providing personalized care and effective treatment options for all your dental needs.